Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Who wound the clock too tight?

Where did November go??!

When you live in Southern California, the winter holidays are a strange thing. Your first sign that the holidays are coming is 90 degree, arid heat and wild fires. Talk about 'chestnuts roasting on an open fire'! The annual craft show start about the same time but who wants to think about Christmas in a tank top? Half of the leaves falling from the 10 deciduous trees in San Diego are still green.

Thanksgiving back East when I was growing up was a toasty warm kitchen with great smells. We wait to change the screens in the storm door to the glass until a few days after Thanksgiving so that while we are cooking, we can have the cool air keep it the perfect temperature. In CA, we don't have storm doors, but even if we did, it would let the necessary air conditioning that is running full blast on T-day out. It is all a bit surreal.

Because of all this, the holidays always seem to sneak up on me. The past few weeks I have been busy with shows and I turned my calendar page on Sunday to see Turkey Day and had a bit of a panic attack. Growing up I had a wind up alarm clock. If you wound it too much, it would run fast, waking me up an hour early for school. This, of course, I wouldn't realize until I was waiting for the bus for WAY too long in the cold. I keep hoping it is a big joke. Did someone wind the clock too fast or press the fast forward button on life?

I HAVE done a lot of knitting (and made quite the mess of my apartment). I have done several show and put new things in my store. It is funny how things work out sometimes though. I am going away for T-Day for the first time in a LONG time. I worried at first about the work time lost on all the projects I am juggling. I thought, "How much yarn can I bring without appearing rude?" I think now though, that this is one of those times that God sits back with a smirk... We think we know what is best for us. We plan and plot our lives. The truth is, He gives us what we need when we need it. It IS time for a few days rest. Yes, there will be knitting, but I won't be hiring a Sherpa to help me carry it all.

By the way, this is also the first time I am leaving "The Boys" so I had to get a picture online that I can look at occasionally to see their beautiful furry faces. It is also the picture I will pull up on my computer while I clean up the mess they make while I am gone (because they are mad I left them) so I can remember why I love them.
Check out the new stuff in my store and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Corinne said...

I love that picture of the boys!! I am so glad that you will be spending some time away....we all need a vacation!! I just got back from Mexico without any kids....wow, was that pretty great...just not long enough. The slippers in your shop are the cutest things ever!! Happy Turkey Day!
~Corinne