Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Face Off

As most of you know, my world revolves around "My Boys". I treat them like children (spoiled rotten teenagers, actually) and I am sure that there is some psychological abnormality about it - I don't care. The one thing I DO deny them is access to the balcony...

a.) when I am not home and

b.) early morning and dusk. Now this is because cats are cats and while mine are not the brightest bulbs, instinct makes them even stupider.

My apartment has big windows on the courtyard side. These frame a nice amount of trees and bushes, all of which attract humming birds. On the other side of my apartment is the balcony which has a dwarf lime tree and a blueberry bush that also both attract hummingbirds. Now, allowed, "The Boys" would be diving off the balcony trying to catch the birds - they don't know what to do with them once they catch them (we found out with 2 morning doves at the last apartment) but they (meaning Franz) are good at catching them. This being said, I keep them in during active hummingbird times, a fact that the local hummingbirds have figured out.

It seems that then "The Boys" are behind the screens the hummingbirds like to mock them. I couldn't figure out why my usually passive bird watchers would occasionally try to go through the screens. It turns out the hummingbirds are coming right up to the screen to get right in their faces. Until the other day, I haven't been able to catch this on "film". I now have proof.

On this particular day there was not one, but THREE of them outside the window. I could only get two of them in the shot as one was not as bold as these, but I officially gave "The Boys" treats for putting up with this torment. From the excitement Hanz was not producing, I have a feeling it is a normal thing. POOR BABIES!! Why don't they sell hummingbird flavored treats? They sell lamb - like the average house cat could take down a lamb! They should sell flavors like hummingbird and goldfish and field mouse - this way we could properly reward our babies for not eating what they see but can't get to.
On the knitting front, FINALLY my cold streak was broken and I made some good sales at my shows. I know, I understand, that the economy is now at its finest, but I take it personally when I have a show and don't sell anything. I made up for it this weekend and for all of you who participated in that - I thank you.
I have some new products coming out in the next 2 weeks so come back and visit!!

2 comments:

Corinne said...

OMG - that is amazing. Those darn hummingbirds and those poor cats....what a tease!

Keyka said...

Too funny! Those silly birds.