Tuesday, April 8, 2008

RIP MAGKNITS

One of my very first "haunts" for free patterns has ended and I can say that I, for one, am very sad to see them go. MAGKNITS has repeatedly published some of my favorite patterns and was a place that I looked forward to visiting every month. I have know for a few months that the editor had a drain on her time and well, when you are not getting paid, and you have to make cuts....

What has REALLY made me sad more than that though, is in the explanation on the site. They have been getting complaints in recent months. COMPLAINTS. When someone gives you something for free, you thank them. If they give you something exceptional, you rally behind them. If you don't like it, smile, say "thank you" and don't look back - you don't COMPLAIN.

Today's feeling of entitlement SICKENS me to the point that I don't always doubt my 'hermit' ways. I tire of the whining and complaining from people who don't contribute yet are unhappy with what they receive from society - as if society was placed here for the sole purpose of providing for THEM.

I would like to say "THANK YOU" to Kerrie over at the former MAGKNITS for her dedication and phenomenal publication. You WILL be missed.

2 comments:

Regenia said...

I totally agree with your point about how people today feel entitled to stuff they haven't earned. My age group is particularly bad for it. I don't find your blog address on Ravelry, so I thought I'd give you a bit of an idea about what the complaints there are about: customers of her yarn store Hipknits that haven't received packages they were charged for and designers for Magknits that haven't been compensated even months later. Most of the commenters mention that they had tried to contact Kerrie personally before bringing their complaints to public forum. I fall in a rather large group that has the same complaint as the latter category I mention, but I understand that she has had issues with her children being sick, and luckily, that money isn't stopping me from doing anything, so I have remained quiet and patient. Some others though have depended on the money they were promised or could have otherwise used the money they spent on yarn they didn't receive. Please keep in mind that not all complaints are coming from selfish, spoiled, rude people looking the gift horse in the mouth, but that some are legitimate and are being aired the best way people know how.

Corinne said...

I agree, when something is good AND free, you don't complain. Seriously, we should be happy for the time and patterns that she has given us and stop there. I agree with your "hermit" ways, as I often feel that way too......no wonder I like you so much!!