Thursday, January 31, 2008

Catching up (part 1)

SO it has been a busy year so far and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon but I have SO MUCH to show you!! I have decided though, that instead of one huge post, I am going to string you along a bit and give you a few bite sized pieces to chew on.
Juno Regina by Miriam Felton
5 balls of Pattons Brilliant - Black Dazzle
69% Acrylic, 31% Polyester
US 4 Circluars


This was the first lace that I actually had to read - the other lace patterns I have done were short charts, repeating throughout. The pattern was very easy to follow. The yarn, while pretty and had the look that I wanted, posed a few problems. It split. A lot. Then, a mistake that an experience lace knitter would never have made: this yarn doesn't block.


All in all, I will probably use the pattern and the yarn again, just not together. This went to my co-worker and she seems very happy with it (even if it did take me FOREVER to finish). Now maybe I can finish up her birthday present (her birthday is in December - DUH!)

Bike Helmet Ear Warmers by Amy O'Neill Houck
1/2 ball Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran Colour: 300300 (black)
55% Merino Wool, 33% Microfibre, 12% Cashmere
US 8 Circulars

Loved this idea from the beginning! My boss lives to ride his bike to work and while San Diego winters could never be called "harsh", tell that to his ears after the ride in the morning! As much as I pick on him for getting too much excersize, I have all the respect in the World for him. That being said, I don't want him getting sick. These ingenious things slide over the straps of your bike helmet. The pressure between the strap and your head holds them on - no buttons or ties. Easy on, easy off.

I picked this yarn because it had high wool content while still being cool water washable (being the germaphobe I am, I try not to think about how sweaty these will get!) This yarn is SO nice to work with!

The pattern was very straight forward. I did make one change though. I removed one of the seams and did both sides at the same time. I would have made them in the round, but didn't want to bother with two different kinds of needles. I will be making these for everyone I know with a bike!

That's all you are getting today. There are 2 very good kitties that need some extra love after going to the vet today.

2 comments:

Karla said...

They both look nice, can't wait to see the rest you've promised. (so how long do I have to wait? huh? huh?)

Corinne said...

I love that lace, it is beautiful. The ear warmers pretty funny, but functional. He must love them or actually love you for them!! I will breathlessly wait for your next project post!