Sunday, October 21, 2007

Deja Vu

I am sitting tonight with my knitting in hand watching hour after hour of the news. I have packed bags for myself, my babies and my room mate, who is California Highway Patrol. He is out helping with the evacuation process for the fires. Like the Cedar Fires in 2003, there isn't just one fire, but several. The winds are high, the humidity low.
I was affected by the Cedar Fires. I lived in East county, I sat and watched the tv thinking I was safe and distant from the fire. When the fire came over the hill behind the house, I had not packed anything and had no gas in my car. Looking back, I realize how fortunate I was. While I did not lose my belongings, I know many who did. Many, woke to police banging on their doors. They had 10 minutes to pack what they could and go.
I went to work, for a short time, with a construction company that was rebuilding some of the homes that burned. Ironically, I met my room mate at that job and I work for that company again now, 4 years later. I saw the pain that people went through trying to replace their lives.
I will not wait. I will be ready. After packing, as I rake my brain, trying to make sure that I haven't forgotten anything, I sat knitting in an attempt to stay calm. Apparently it worked well, the cats didn't notice anything until the air became seeped in the ash. Even though I shut the windows as soon as I smelled the smoke, there is ash inside the windows. My eyes and throat are scratchy - I can only guess how the boys feel. They are now trying to figure out what is wrong.
My prayers go out to the men and women out there trying to protect us and those who have been evacuated.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

Hey, I am glad that you are okay. Good luck on Saturday. See you Sunday :)