Saturday, July 7, 2007

FINALLY a Post!

I know that it has been far too long since I have shared. It seems I have spent much more of my time starting projects than finishing them. So many in fact, that I could no longer start any new projects because all of my needles were already in use on partially completed projects. SO, time to get some work down, clear a path through the craft room and finish some of what I have started.


In a past post I alluded to this, a birthday present for a friend:
It is a free pattern from Lion Brand Yarn.
Lacy Stole made with Lion Brand Micro Spun in Black
While it took much longer to finish than expected, it turned out soft and very appropriate for San Diego weather. I may need to make one for myself - once I have completed more of my projects of course.


I have also completed (another) pair of socks.
Embossed Leaves Socks from Interweave's Favorite Socks
The yarn is Austermann Step with Aloe Vera and Jojoba Oil
75% Superwash wool / 25% Nylon
The color is not one that I would wear but that was the only color that they hadn't sold out of - this yarn knits up so nicely they can't keep it in stock. I fully intend on getting some more... I do always try to support my LYS but if they are still out of it on my next trip, I think I will have to break down and order some online.


I DID find out that when they say 'superwash' they mean "doesn't shrink even if you wash in hot and dry on high" The Embossed leaves pattern stated that if you wanted larger diameter socks to use a larger needle set. In my rush to get "things I want to make even though I have other things that need to be done first" projects checked off my list, I forgot about negative ease. The pattern called for US 2s so I used a US 3. They fit but not really the way I would have liked. I figured if I could shrink them, even just a little bit, that they would fit nicer. A hot water wash and a trip through the dryer on high and they are still the exact same size. (If I had liked the size they would have shrunk in a cold water, gentle cycle and line dry.)


I also learned a very cool cast on. It was a 1 x 1 Rib Cast On - incredibly stretchy and very neat. Get the book. Try it.


Well, back to finishing up projects... I PROMISE it won't be so long 'til the next post. Stay out of the heat - and if you see Mother Nature, please remind her that San Diego isn't supposed be humid!!!




No comments: